Friday, January 31, 2014

Heat wave

It's going to be around 38 degrees today. I was out in the garden at about 7:00 and it was already warm.



We're coming to the last of the chioggio baby beets now, but I have some others almost ready, and some coming on. Ralph Long says I can continue to sow them till March, which I plan to do - we love them in salad.

I sowed a row of long white icicle radishes in the easternmost bed, which is going to be heritage carrots (Ralph Long says I can sow carrots till March, as well - so that will work nicely.)

There's a row of very late peas coming up in the westernmost bed. They're a test - RL says they can be put in in January, thought their best bet is June-Oct. We'll see if he's right.

Stinkbugs on the citrus today - just two. The chickens appreciated them, but I have to do a search for eggs on the leaves to keep things under control.

The apples are lovely. No need to net the chicken's tree - they don't get eaten by possums or birds. Gorgeous straight from the tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment