Monday, January 27, 2014

Garlic

Managed to save some of Jonathon's garlic - no thanks to Bruce and Paul! -










and I've ordered a whole array of heritage varieties from Diggers as well. It's still too early to plant (heatwave predicted next week, though it's been cool enough the last couple of days for jumpers) but I'm prepping one of the beds in advance - digging well, adding what's needed - organic, of course - and making labels.

While at Diggers, of course, I ordered a whole bunch of other stuff, especially heritage varieties of carrots. Ralph Long says I can plant carrots now, so I'm going to get a lot more in - they are delicious, especially the purple dragons. Also going to plant a couple in pots for seed-saving purposes. Now that I've thoroughly tested the kitchen garden (well - since we arrived in June, anyway) I'm going to try to be a little more orderly in what goes where. But only a little - I rather like the mixed up look, and I think it deters bugs and stuff.

We'll see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment